This week is Dementia Action Week 2019; a week dedicated to furthering awareness of the disease, and to encourage the community to help improve the lives of people living with dementia. As a part of Leeds Castle’s commitment to furthering understanding of the condition, Leeds Castle has been organising for staff to have the opportunity to attend Dementia Friends Information Sessions.
110 members of our staff and volunteers have attended an information session over the last 2 years. It is a continued mission of Leeds Castle to ensure commitment to providing the best service for all our visitors, and with that in mind make Leeds Castle as Dementia Friendly as possible.
Being a Dementia Friend is to remind people of the five key messages:
1. Dementia is not a natural part of ageing
2. Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain
3. Dementia is not about losing your memory – it can affect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks
4. It’s possible to live well with dementia
5. There’s more to a person than the dementia
As a Dementia Friend, our staff pledges to change the way people think, act and talk about dementia.